A quarter of UK homes contain some kind of smart device, such as smart plugs and wireless security cameras, according to a survey from technology retailer, Maplin. What’s more, 420 million smart devices are expected to be installed in homes across the country by 2020, according to government estimates. Each smart device is vulnerable to cyber-criminals and, while not every device may provide them with sensitive personal information, it can nevertheless act as a way into your home.
- Set up strong, unique passwords for all of your online accounts and devices.
- Protect your WI-FI connection with a strong, unique password.
- Be cautious about the emails and information you read online, as you don’t want to fall for any deals that sound ‘too good to be true’.
- Install system updates on all of your devices as soon as they become available.
- Install a reputable company’s anti-virus and anti-malware software on your computer.